[Pydotorg-redesign] Graphic redesign

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu Jul 17 14:06:11 EDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> Zope is good for dynamic content, and we've generally avoided that for
> python.org so we can simplify operation of the server, keep it
> lightweight, and allow it to be efficiently mirrored.
>
> There are certainly parts of the site that benefit from dynamism (such
> as the wiki), but we already have applications in place, and no one
> seems to have time to change them anyway.

My impression is that we'd like to increase the dynamism of the site.
Currently, the only way to handle things is by either using wide-open
Wikis or giving someone full access to python.org CVS.  It would be good
if we could section things off more, particularly for things like job
openings, events, and user groups.  There's also the issue that the Wikis
aren't integrated into the site design.

Obviously, we'll need to figure some way of copying the dynamic content
to static pages for mirroring, but I really want to cut the ongoing load
on the webmasters to something closer to zero.  It'll be a big job, but
hopefully we'll only have to do it once.

There have been volunteers in the past for moving python.org to Zope2,
but I really don't want to do that based on my understanding of the
capabilities of Zope2.

A: No.
Q: Is top-posting okay?