[Pydotorg-redesign] Tweaking the top page

Kevin Altis altis at semi-retired.com
Sat Jul 12 10:40:20 EDT 2003

Much cleaner, however I think I would rather see the Documentation as the
top section.

> * The eight links in the top bar aren't repeated in the body any more.
>
> Other changes I'd like to make:
>
> * Drop the OSI logo; show it on the "About Python" page.

+1

However, since that is "below the fold" it has little impact on the primary
use of the home page unless the goal is to make sure the home page doesn't
need to be scrolled to see everything.

> * Shrink the big logo.

Shrink or drop it entirely, it adds little to no branding or information
value.

> Other suggestions for changes?
>
> --amk

There have been a number of other page mockups to consider for ideas in the
redesign. The first two simply changed to a gray color scheme. Steve Holden
made another page that I can't find offhand, so I've asked him to reply with
the URL. Another person that I can't remember did another mockup, they
should reply here if they are on the list.

  http://www.python.org/index-gray.html
  http://www.python.org/Jobs-gray.html

I also made a mockup of for the "search on the home page" thread. The main
change to the top nav was to add an actual search box and button to the top
nav; an actual search on the home page is critical to improving usability of
the site. I also removed the Developers link since it is covered in the
left-hand nav and is ambiguous (anyone using Python is a developer) and I
consolidated the SIGs and Community links.

  http://pythonology.org/pipermail/marketing-python/2003-March/004173.html

Since the redesign discussion is basically being restarted from April, I
suggest people go back and look at the URLs in the posts I made when we got
started. Most of the other messages on the list have to do with making the
maintenance of python.org more efficient by using roundup and such.

  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pydotorg-redesign/2003-April/thread.html

Specifically...

  other web sites for reference
  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pydotorg-redesign/2003-April/000001.html

  redesign issues from marketing-python mailing list
  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pydotorg-redesign/2003-April/000004.html

  pytdotorg-redesign notes from PyCon Open Space session
  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pydotorg-redesign/2003-April/000005.html

ka