[Pydotorg-redesign] Rearranging the python.org sidebar (again!)

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Tue Aug 12 09:57:58 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 07:55  AM, A.M.Kuchling wrote:
> The draft is as always at www.amk.ca/python.org.html.

A few random comments;

The "ANNOUNCEMENTS" headline is in a different font  and style (center
vs. flush left) from all the other headlines ("Top documentation
links", etc).  I find this visually jarring.

The "Welcome to the official website for the Python programming
language" line really doesn't add anything to the page.  See this
week's AlertBox colum for more on this
(http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030811.html).

Does "www.python.org website hosted by XS4ALL" have to get the
prominent place it has now? I don't know who XS4ALL is, but I'm
assuming from the acknowledgement that they're donating web services.
This is nice,  and deserve acknowledgement, but is it really the most
important thing on the page that it needs to be where it it, taking up
the most valuable visual real-estate on the page?  Could it be moved to
the bottom somewhere?

The "Documentation" section in the sidebar parallels the "Top
documentation links section in the main part of the page.  But not
quite.  Many of the items are the same, but it's not clear how it was
decided to promote certain items to the sidebar.  Neither is a proper
subset of the other.  Overall, it's confusing.  Where do I find
documentation?  Well, some stuff is in one place, some stuff is in the
other?  It's difficult to build a mental picture of how to navigate
these pages.

Why do we have a "Developers" link on the nav bar?  The target audience
for this is the group of people who maintain the language itself.  This
is a very small group of people.  Important, but small.  They are also
the most tuned-in and sophisticated.  Do we really need to devote some
of the most expensive real estate on every page in the entire site to
telling the developers how to find SourceForge?  Perhaps just a "how to
get involved" link somewhere on the home page would be enough?

I've come into the conversation somewhat late.  Forgive me if some of
the above comments have been brought up before.