[pycon-za] PyConZA Design Discussion

Simon Cross simon.cross at praekeltfoundation.org
Mon Jun 18 11:32:29 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Jonathan McKay
<jonathan.mckay at praekelt.com> wrote:
> Simon, can you chat with Sam and/or Gustav and confirm what info we want to
> capture from potential speakers and who that notification should go to?

The answer to this depends a bit on what direction Ruan and Euan are
taking initially. If the plan is to get something really minimal up
first (i.e. just a form which captures somethings and emails them to
someone) then we need a very short speaker's biography.

The PyCon US site captures: name, email address, one paragraph
biography, photo and twitter username. For extra cool points we can
probably add GitHub and Bitbucket account names.

>From that we could probably drop the photo -- the rest is easy enough to keep.

Eventually though we need a simple system for managing speakers and
their talks and perhaps allowing reviewers to give feedback.

The PyCon US talk descriptions contain: title, kind (tutorial or
talk), subject area, audience level, duration (probably not relevant
for us because the current plan is to have standard length talks --
we'll need to sort out what that length is though), short description
(publicized if talk accepted), abstract (detailed description, used by
reviewers to evaluate talk, publicized if talk accepted), additional
notes (anything else you like to alert the conferences organizers or
reviewers about).

If we're just doing an email form at first, I guess speaker
information could be emailed to me -- that should be a manageable
volume. Suggestions with fewer single-points-of-failure welcomed
though.

> Same for the 'register your interest' - this is assuming, of course, that
> you're managing this????

For 'register your interest' we just need a way to ping the person
once there is an actual way to register. So I guess a name and email
address.

Something we need to consider for both speakers and attendees is the
possibility of offering financial assistance. That's heavily budget
dependent though. Maybe just a "I'd like to apply for financial
assistance" flag would be sufficient?

Schiavo
Simon