[pycon-za] Marketing/Distribution List

Gustav gustav at praekelt.com
Tue Jul 3 12:19:13 CEST 2012

Just a thought whilst Simon and I are visiting with Unicef here in Kigali.

There are a number of Python developers working throughout the continent that feel quite disconnected from the general Python community.

Unicef in particular, is a heavy user of Django (through their RapidSMS product), but they are struggling to find developers with any kind of Python experience.

I suggest that we make an effort to reach out to people throughout the continent working on/with Python, particularly with a view on creating interest in a potentially running AfroPython in future.

It would also be great to get talks from teams who have successfully launched  Python projects in some very challenging environments (like Unicef with the Maternal/Child projects).

Finally, Matt Berg pointed out that we should not ignore the Francophone developer community who are also quite active throughout Africa.

With that in mind, what is the easiest way to build a general marketing distribution list? And how do we add contacts to it?

GUSTAV PRAEKELT | CEO
PRAEKELT.COM | PRAEKELTFOUNDATION.ORG
Twitter: gustavp