[Pycon-openspaces] PyCon US Open Spaces Co-Chair Volunteer Opportunity

Andrey Smelter andrey.smelter at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 12:30:00 EST 2019

My name is Andrey Smelter,

I learned about volunteering opportunity for Open Spaces at PyCon.
I saw a twitter message from Anna Ossowski and Trey Hunner (
https://twitter.com/OssAnna16/status/1093176750715023362) with call for
volunteers.

I have attended PyTennessee 2018 last year and met both Trey and Anna
there.
I also attended PyCon 2018 last year and enjoyed it a lot as well as went
to multiple Open Spaces sessions following advice from several blog posts
(including
https://treyhunner.com/2018/04/how-to-make-the-most-of-your-first-pycon/).

I am currently a post-doctoral researcher at University of Kentucky Markey
Cancer Center. I use Python on a daily basis to write and maintain
scientific software for the lab that I work for, and for some system
administration and for fun as well.
Here are my GitHub and LinkedIn profiles if you want to learn more what I
do:
* GitHub: https://github.com/andreysmelter
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/andreysmelter/

I am planning to addend PyCon this year and submitted an abstract for the
poster session.

After attending my first PyCon 2018 last year I thought that I should do
volunteering for PyCon and after seeing call for volunteers for Open Spaces
I thought it is a great opportunity to get more involved and do something
awesome for the  Python Community.

I remember a lot of people were taking pictures of the Open Spaces board to
see what sessions are scheduled. I thought it would be nice to through some
simple automation into it:
   * Create google spreadsheet with available times and rooms.
   * Create a dedicated twitter account for open sessions if it is not
already exists.
   * Use one of the available python libraries that interact with google
spreadsheet (e.g. https://github.com/xflr6/gsheets,
https://github.com/nithinmurali/pygsheets)
   * Have a python script that goes over the upcoming Open Sessions and
tweets room number, time and topic.

I am happy to help with all tasks specified in the call for volunteer
document
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cl8eejx6C8rNgSwCvW6ozgt-1F2zQ7NpH1Qr982H7tQ/edit

Thank you!

-Andrey