[PyCon-greenroom] PyCon Speaker Information

David Wolever wolever at pycon.ca
Thu May 11 11:34:35 EDT 2017

Hey!

My reply is inline, below.

From: Jonas Neubert <jn at jonasneubert.com> <jn at jonasneubert.com>
Reply: Jonas Neubert <jn at jonasneubert.com> <jn at jonasneubert.com>
Date: May 11, 2017 at 9:43:14 AM
To: pycon-greenroom at python.org <pycon-greenroom at python.org>
<pycon-greenroom at python.org>
Subject:  Re: [PyCon-greenroom] PyCon Speaker Information

Here are my logistics questions:

- Can you tell me where exactly this will be placed during the talk?
Table/floor, left side/right side? This would help me bring the right cable
lengths and figure out camera positioning (tripod, etc).

I can’t say for sure right now (I don’t recall exactly how room 203 is
going to be configured), but we’ll definitely have some sort of table, and
we’ll be able to put it close to the podium (within 5ft, say?).

- Will audience members in the first row be able to see the demo system or
will they sit below the podium or too far away to see? Not super critical,
but if they are close enough I can put in some extra effort to make things
more visible for them.

Yep, they should. Here’s a video from last year which shows roughly where
the audience is in relation to the stage + presenter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZtC_4Ecq1Y

Depending on the table high we can find, you might need to put it on the
floor… but we can sort that out the day of.

- At what time will I be able to move this to the presentation room? I
could carry it in just before my talk, but moving it in before the session
might be easier.

We’ll get it all setup during lunch so that, after the previous presenter
finishes, you can just pull it up on stage.

- Can I bring this to the convention center on Thursday to unpack and test,
and leave there overnight until Friday? If yes, what time should I show up?

Yep! Come by the Green Room any time between about 10:00 and 5:00 on
Thursday. We can also go over the room + table setup at that point.

You’re welcome to leave it in the green room overnight. The room is locked
any time a staff member isn’t present, and we’ve never had something go
missing from it (although "we are not responsible for lost or stolen
items", etc).

Also, a few questions about the podium setup:
- Is there a clip on/headset style microphone or only a fixed one at the
podium?

Over-ear headset style, approximately like this:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images500x500/Galaxy_Audio_AS_HSH_O3BG_AS_HSH_Omnidirectional_Over_Ear_Microphone_524849.jpg

- Is it ok to move back and forth from podium to the demo table or does
that mess up the video recording? I could minimize the moving around if
necessary, but the will be some.

Yep! That’s what we pay our videographers the big bucks for ;)

- I plan to have a live video feed from a webcam on my screen for portions
of the talk (so that everyone can see the demo). No question here, just an
FYI because I know some AV engineers appreciate a heads up before
projecting video.

Thanks!

1) Will you need audio from your computer? (I suspect not, but to double
check)

2) The lighting on stage is decent but harsh. If you can, it might be a
good idea to bring along a reading lamp type light to clip to the podium or
table if there are small details you want to make sure the audience can see
from the webcam.

Anything else I should know or that you want to discuss about the logistics
for this talk?

Nope! Nothing we won’t be able to sort out on Thursday, at least :)

Sorry for all the questions and extra effort required for this, hopefully
it will be worth it and get people excited about automation!

No worries! Looks like this will be a pretty sweet talk!