[PyAR2] Car Talk Puzzler

Jesse Jaggars jhjaggars at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 00:53:35 CEST 2011

Here is my solution that disregards leading zeros in the hour spot.
Feel free to point out the bugs.

from collections import defaultdict

def fmt(bit):
    return "%02d" % bit

def test(hour, minute):
    counter = defaultdict(int)
    for pos in str(hour) + fmt(minute):
        counter[pos] += 1

    for key,value in counter.iteritems():
        if value >= 3:
            return True

    return False

if __name__ == "__main__":
    times = 0
    for half in ('am', 'pm'):
        for hour in range(1,13):
            for minute in range(0, 60):
                if test(hour,minute):
                    print "%s:%s %s" % (str(hour), fmt(minute), half)
                    times += 1
    print times