[PSF-Community] Participate in Google Summer of Code 2020!

Terri Oda terri at toybox.ca
Mon Jan 20 18:59:44 EST 2020

Hi Python community folk!

As we've done for the past many years, Python is hoping to participate
in Google Summer of Code.  This is a neat program where students write
code over the (northern hemisphere) summer under the tutelage of open
source mentors and get paid: we provide the project ideas, mentors and
choose the students, Google provides the program framework and the money
to pay students.  You can read more about GSoC here:
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/

Python participates as an "umbrella org" where many different smaller
projects ("sub orgs") that use Python can take part under our banner.
You can also participate separately, but for people who've never done it
before and want help or for whom the paperwork is a hassle, you're
welcome to join up with us and let us show you the ropes!

It's really fun, and we've gotten lots of new contributors to
Python-based projects over the years, taking in as many as 70+ students
in a single year.  We need a good set of sub-orgs and ideas by Feb 3th
for our application, and if we're accepted by Google we'll be able to
add a few more ideas and groups until the end of February.

Sound intriguing?  You can read all about what we're doing at
http://python-gsoc.org/ (which has answers to questions like "what does
it take to be a mentor?" and "what does it take to be a sub-org?")

You can also send questions to gsoc-admins at python.org (or just hit reply
to this email!)

  Terri

PS - Students: we want you too, but student applications don't open
'till March, so this email is mostly for getting new mentors and
sub-orgs set up.  But all the info for you is also at
http://python-gsoc.org/ if you're interested!