[PSF-Community] board candidates: tell me about transparency

Carol Willing willingc at willingconsulting.com
Sun May 29 09:37:40 EDT 2016

On 28 May 2016, at 7:15, Carl Karsten wrote:

> All of the people nominated for the PSF board are good people who will
> do
> good things.  If things were running smooth, I wouldn't really care
> who
> gets elected.
>
> But once again, we see people asking questions due to lack of
> transparency.
>
> So once again, I ask:  What will you do about it?

I think others raise good points and Diana has very accurately reflected
the current PSF board operations and communications.

Personally, I would advocate for actions that continue to increase the
level of transparency:

- publishing an annual calendar of board meetings at the beginning of
each term
- releasing board meeting agendas to the community prior to the board
meetings by posting the meeting agenda on the website ideally 72 hours
before a scheduled meeting
- drafting a meeting agenda that defaults to information being public
but also allows for an executive session portion of the agenda for items
where confidentiality is important i.e. anonymity requested by a donor,
personnel discussions, etc.
- listening and responding to community questions in a timely,
thoughtful, and respectful manner

We could consider new ways to gain feedback from the community about
specific areas that the community would like to see greater
transparency. Perhaps offering a mid-term survey of community
satisfaction on a number of topics including transparency to get a
representative sense of “How are we doing as a board?”. A link could
be posted at the bottom of agendas where community members can easily
email the entire board thoughts about agenda items.

Warmly,

Carol

Carol Willing
Research Software Engineer, Project Jupyter @ Cal Poly