[PSF-Community] Reporting Code of Conduct violations

Don Sheu don at sheu.com
Thu May 5 13:49:42 EDT 2016

Good stuff Chris, really great work you're doing in NC. Great to hear the
truth about a state besides the headlines driven by self-aggrandizing
politicians. Would love to connect on a phone call at some time to get your
thoughts on how PuPPy can improve.

Our normal turnout is about 25% women out of an attendance that ranges from
150-200. PuPPY's first ever meeting was a mini-conference on women in tech.
Lynn Root fortuitously was visiting Seattle at the same time. She
graciously launched our group as a speaker and as a panelist on a
discussion on improving gender diversity in tech professions.

The woman turnout for our first meeting was about 40% women.

Recently in February, Jessica McKellar joined us with Dropbox's support as
a speaker and a panelist that included Bridget Frey the CTO of Redfin. That
event drew 52% women attendees. Unfortunately space was limited because
Dropbox just opened in Seattle this past May. We had over 120 on our
waitlist.

Our first year speakers was 44% women. Currently in 2016 we're running
about 80% women speakers.

Seattle PyLadies has really done a great job under new leadership of Wendy
Grus and Erin Shellman. However on a personal connection, I'm far
friendlier with Michelle Glauser the organizer of PyLadies SF. She was part
of Zana when they participated in Startup Row that I run with Yannick
Gingras for PyCon.

I really want to do better. My mother is illiterate. I think of how that's
limited her opportunities in life, and also the pain that causes for my
family. I want to spare others the pain. For the world today I think
literacy includes understanding computing and tech. That software resembles
living in Saudi Arabia is an embarrassment for any modern society.

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 10:32 AM Chris Calloway <cbc at unc.edu> wrote:

> On 5/4/16 4:12 PM, Don Sheu wrote:
> > I'm in the process of instituting guidelines for handling Code of
> > Conduct reports with my group in Seattle, PuPPy. First step is
> > recruiting a diverse committee. Unfortunately, currently our organizing
> > team is overwhelmingly male. Last thing I want is for a Code of Conduct
> > procedure where a member who's not white or male is facing a process run
> > entirely by white males.
>
> Don,
>
> The hardest part of diversity is attempting to diversify an already
> non-diverse group. I searched for a long time for how to do this.
> Finally, after watching the Code: Debugging the Gender Gap documentary,
> I got a clue, applied it, and it worked. The secret is pro-action. You
> must go out and specifically and specially invite people individually,
> and invite them not just to participate, but to lead. I did this for the
> PyData Carolinas conference coming up this fall and it worked so well
> that the majority of people on our board of organizers are female and
> twenty percent are non-white:
>
> http://pydata.org/carolinas2016/about/organizers/
>
> I went to PyLadies and other groups and asked for their help. They
> responded with several highly qualified Python data scientists. I didn't
> just ask for volunteers. I approached them each individually, told them
> each why their qualifications are needed, and invited them to come take
> the reigns of various conference committees. You can get diversity. You
> just have to work at it and not wait for it to come to you. You must
> reach out and reach out specifically to individuals, recruiting each
> with an offer of leadership.
>
> --
> Sincerely,
>
> Chris Calloway, Applications Analyst
> UNC Renaissance Computing Institute
> 100 Europa Drive, Suite 540, Chapel Hill, NC 27517
> (919) 599-3530

- - - - - - - -
Don Sheu

312.880.9389
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My Python user group in May meets at Redfin

*http* <http://www.meetup.com/PSPPython/>*://*
<http://www.meetup.com/PSPPython/>*www.meetup.com*
<http://www.meetup.com/PSPPython/>*/* <http://www.meetup.com/PSPPython/>
*PSPPython* <http://www.meetup.com/PSPPython/>*/*
<http://www.meetup.com/PSPPython/>

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE*: *The information contained in this message may be
protected trade secrets or protected by applicable intellectual property
laws of the United States and International agreements. If you believe that
it has been sent to you in error, do not read it. Please immediately reply
to the sender that you have received the message in error. Then delete it.
Thank you.*