[portland] Switching to a Google Group for the mailing list?

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 09:14:54 CEST 2013

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Gelastic Jew <gelasticjew at gmail.com> wrote:

> But Google Groups pretty well messed up what utility it grabbed from Deja
> News, and made a useless alternative to Usenet.  Google always seems to
> cancel the products I actually use and keep the ones that aren't different
> enough from other available products.

I just don't know the story myself.  Did Google "grab" from Deja News or
were we about to lose access to Usenet forever and Google rescued a
sinking ship?  I just don't have those details, sorry, but maybe you do, in
which case may I suggest cashing in and writing a tell all book?  Lots of
fascinating lore I'm sure.  I liked 'Fire in the Valley' and that other one
about Digital Equipment or whatever.

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Valley-Personal-Computer-Edition/dp/0071358927
http://www.amazon.com/Close-Machine-Technophilia-Its-Discontents/dp/1250002486/

Kirby