[portland] What "make" do you use?

Robert Lugg Robert.Lugg at synopsys.com
Thu Oct 4 18:56:24 CEST 2012

Hi all,

My first post, so hopefully this is relevant to our group.  I want to setup a make system.  By default gmake seems to be the most used.  However, there are several alternatives.  The task can be represented as:

A Python program reads in specific files and outputs a file based on the input files.
When I "run", I only want to run the python program if the input files have been modified.

A quick google search yielded Vellum , buildit , paver, waf, aap. I had no idea that there were so many alternatives!

What systems have you found useful in the past and which do you use today?

Regards,

Robert