[portland] OSB and Python

Scott Garman sgarman at zenlinux.com
Thu May 13 18:47:30 CEST 2010

On 05/13/2010 08:43 AM, Dylan Reinhardt wrote:
> Is it just me, or did Python majorly get the finger from Open Source
> Bridge?

I hope you'll give the volunteers of this conference the benefit of the
doubt that their intentions were not malicious toward the python community.

> 90 sessions in all and only two that even *mention* Python.  Only one
> of those seems to actually be *about* Python.  Unless you could
> Postgres, I guess. Maybe that's two, it's tough to tell.

I agree that is unfortunate. FWIW my talk on OpenEmbedded will involve a
lot of focus on BitBake, a python-based build tool.

AFAIK the proposal selection process was all volunteer-driven, openly
announced, and anyone could show up and have a role in it. If few of the
reviewers were python people, they might not have understood/appreciated
the proposals from this group.

It sounds like next time it would be a good idea to get some pdxpython
representation on the proposal selection committee, and also possibly
work with them to come up with a way to ensure greater balance with the
technologies represented.

Just some thoughts,

Scott

--