[portland] Protecting Intellectual Property In Python Applications

LG lgellert at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 18:49:45 CET 2010

Jonathon's points are great.

I would add in the web enabled world, the UI layer could be setup to
call services on a backend server you host and control. That way only
the UI layer is being distributed to the customer and the valuable logic
is protected behind your firewall.  This is called Service Oriented
Architecture (SOA) and is gaining popularity (please forgive the buzz
word).  I'm not sure if it would work fast enough for your specific
needs but it is one option.  If anything SOA helps me think about the
distinct layers of an application and how they relate, even if it is all
running inside just one machine.

Java would be a middle ground compiled language, compared to C.  There
is a nice math package by apache commons I have used for stats in java.

Best,
Laurence