[portland] Instant Action is hiring, and open house at Ground Kontrol

Karl Anderson kra at monkey.org
Tue Nov 3 19:45:06 CET 2009

Hello all,

The company I work for, Instant Action, is hiring a senior back-end
developer for our Portland office.  On the Python front, this involves
lots of Twisted, REST, XMPP, and SQL clustering, with really
interesting things in the works like NoSQL, PubSubHubbub and other
data pipelining, and OpenID and OAuth.

We're also having an open house at Ground Kontrol on November 11th,
where you can talk about this and other positions (and drink free beer
and play free video games).

If you're interested, read the appended posting without paying any
more attention to the requirements than you would for any other
posting written by a recruiter, and send your resume and cover letter
to jobs at instantaction.com, or I can forward it as well.  And let me
know if you have any questions about the team.  Here's a link to the
open house:

http://blogtown.portlandmercury.com/BlogtownPDX/archives/2009/11/02/free-drinks-at-ground-kontrol-also-possibly-you-could-get-a-job

Senior Back-end Developer, Core Technology Team

InstantAction.com is the new standard for gaming on the Web. With our
unique technology, we have been able to offer some of the most
advanced 3D games to ever be played on the web, the iPhone, and
Facebook.  But, we're just getting started. We are looking for some
top-talent Internet gurus with a passion for gaming to help redefine
how games are played and distributed.

GarageGames acquired by IAC, created InstantAction.com, the first
Web-based videogame network.  InstantAction is located in Portland,
Oregon and on the web at http://www.instantaction.com.

Instant Action is recruiting for a mid to senior level product driven
engineer with 5+ years experience in ecommerce middleware development
to join our small core team of developers who build and manage the
company's web entertainment and e-commerce video game portals.   Bring
your formidable Python skills, experience in the LAMP stack (Linux,
Apache, MySQL, PHP), and passion for coding, analyzing and
troubleshooting large-scale web systems.  Our fast paced and growth
oriented environment is perfect for web developers who enjoy having a
chance to analyze site performance and influence the design while
developing the next generation of entertainment e-commerce services
and products.  If you love playing video games, that’s a huge bonus!

Title: Senior Back-end Developer

Location: Portland, OR

Requirements:

    * 5+ years of web development on increasingly harder problems,
both in technical challenge and in scale
    * 3+ years building complex web apps and business middleware on
the LAMP stack - some MySQL knowledge definitely helpful.
    * Fluency in one or more of: Python, PHP, C/C++ or Java.
    * Experience with AJAX, SEO, CSS and JavaScript a plus.
    * SQL experience strongly desired, MySQL a plus.
    * Must understand the business perspective of development
    * Expertise in data structures, algorithms, and complexity analysis.
    * A strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
    * Fluent written communication and unusual verbal agility are strong assets.
    * Build systems that are simple and scale
    * Experience writing XML to web service APIs
    * Experience working with internal development and product teams,
balancing requirements, etc.
    * Experience working with fast-moving organizations.
    * Comprehensive computer-science fundamentals, BA/BS in CS, MS or
PhD is preferred.

Pluses:

    * Love of Python
    * SQL experience (MySQL preferred; knowledge of
horizontal/vertical partitioning a plus)

      - redundancy, scalability, clustering, high-availability,
analysis of complex systems for performance bottlenecks

    * Specific interest in local search or social networks

We are looking for those who are accountable, like working in a team
environment and thrive under tight deadlines but most importantly,
have a positive attitude, a sense of humor and who are passionate
about gaming or the gaming industry.

We are offer a fun, relaxed work environment, medical & dental
benefits and a matching 401K!

To apply, please send your resume and salary requirements to
jobs at garagegames.com. Only resumes with salary requirements will be
considered. Please use “back end, Core Tech” in your subject line.