[portland] Werkzeug, web, testing, etc. discussion

John Hampton pacopablo at pacopablo.com
Wed Feb 4 20:58:13 CET 2009

Michael Schurter wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd at commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 11:33 -0800, Michael Schurter wrote:
>>> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Adam Lowry <adam at therobots.org>
>>> wrote:
>>> 2.  Django
>>>
>>> Django for everything...  thrilling huh?  Traditional setup.py style deployment.
>>>
>> Has Django fixed its ORM yet? Last I checked it lacked the ability to
>> properly handle primary keys.
>
> While Django's ORM is definitely nothing to brag about compared to
> SqlAlchemy and other more powerful Python ORM's, it definitely handles
> primary keys just fine:
>
> Defining:
>   http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/models/fields/#primary-key
>
> Querying by:
>   http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/db/queries/#the-pk-lookup-shortcut

The way I read this is that Django still doesn't support multi-column
primary keys.  I also found a ticket[1] that is still open regarding
supporting multi-column primary keys.  I didn't read the ticket
thoroughly.  Is it true that the Django ORM still can't do multi-column
primary keys?

Joshua, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that you were referring to
being able to handle multi-column primary keys in your question, no?

-John