[portland] Psycopg Question

John Hampton pacopablo at pacopablo.com
Tue Feb 3 05:54:23 CET 2009

Rich Shepard wrote:
>   Yes, postgres is running correctly. Further research revealed that the
> LANG environment is en_US and this limits postgres encoding to LATIN1. The
> application wants UTF8.
>
>   So I copied postgresql.conf.sample to postgresql.conf, changed the
> encoding variable to utf8 (from us_ascii), moved the file to
> /var/lib/pgsql/data and issued 'kill -HUP <pid>'. That didn't help.
>
>   So, it's a postgres locale issue and not a python or psycopg issue. I'll
> pursue a solution there.

With most projects that use postgresql as a backend, they require that
you create the database manually.  It appears that tinyerp (now openerp)
is no exception [1]

Additionally, it doesn't really matter what the default encoding is for
postgresql.  You can specify the encoding when creating the db.

-John

[1]
http://openerp.com/wiki/index.php/Manual_Installation:Installation_Manual/Setup_a_Postgresql_user_and_database