[portland] Planning for October Meeting / Python Release Party!

Igal Koshevoy igal at pragmaticraft.com
Mon Sep 22 11:03:21 CEST 2008

> So how about the Pythoneers join the PostgreSQL conference party to
> celebrate, then a couple days later at the October meeting, spend some
> time reviewing the changes in these new releases at CubeSpace, and
> then probably celebrate a bit more? Jason, everyone else ... your thoughts?

Pythoneers, are you in? Any objections before I add this event to Calagator?

Joshua Drake wrote:
> Well if you don't mind one minor suggestion. I have zero problem making
> space at the conference for python folks. Now unfortunately I would
> have to do the standard charges for it but it would enable you to talk
> a bit about python? A little advocacy along with the upcoming release?
> I would be happy to open a slot for the group.
Thanks for the offer. What would the charges to presenters or attendees
be like? Keep in mind that the group doesn't have financial backing, and
is thus limited by what donors are willing to offer for a good cause.

Would anyone like to present something? For example, one immediately
relevant topic that comes to mind is using PL/Python to write PostgreSQL
functions and triggers in Python. This feature's been bundled with
PostgreSQL for a long time, works great, and -- when compared to
PL/pgSQL -- helps programmers and DBAs write clearer, more maintainable
code.

-igal