[portland] Help For pySerial in XP

Ron Jackson Ron at FascinatingElectronics.com
Tue Sep 9 18:04:12 CEST 2008

Hey Larry,

I've used PySerial on XP. It installed OK for me. You need to have
PyWin32 installed for it to work. http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/

I've also used USPP, which I found to be an easier to understand
implementation than PySerial. It also requires pywin32. Check out:
http://ibarona.googlepages.com/uspp

I am actually using USB hardware, which enumerates as a CDC device. I
didn't need the legacy serial support features in both packages. So I
ended up creating my own USB-specific library and directly calling the
Win32File functions for read and write. USPP was very helpful for that.

I'm planning on being at the meeting tonight also.

   -- Ron

mark gross wrote:
> I've used pyserial on linux before, what is your issue?
> do you have some test code that's failing?
>
> --mgross
>
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 06:08:06AM -0700, litlblob at spiritone.com wrote:
>> I'm involved in a project to use RS-232 and modify data between two
>> systems.   I have a small budget and could use some help.   Sunday
>> P.M. I put Python on one of two laptops.   I spent most of Mon. P.M.
>> trying to get pySerial into the Python.   Tue. A.M. I'm re-loading
>> XP on the second laptop.   The end of this project will be to put
>> Ubuntu on 5 'Wind' units, but I need to get the first up and running
>> (Faster with the existing XP than to put Ubuntu on the laptops) in
>> order to pay for the last sytems.
>>
>> I'm planning on being at the user group meeting tonight.
>>
>> Thanks for any help (In a way, E-Mail "focused on this" help would be great!)
>>
>> Larry T.

Website:  http://www.FascinatingElectronics.com
Fascinating Electronics Inc, 925 SW 83 Avenue, Portland, OR 97225-6307
Toll Free: 800.683.5487    Direct Dial: 503.296.8579