[portland] Status of Django-SQLAlchemy?

Nick Welch mack at incise.org
Fri Jun 13 11:15:51 CEST 2008

(I am asking Jason this question but figured the list would benefit from
what he has to say)

The work on Django-SQLAlchemy at Pycon '08 was mentioned at this month's
meeting, and I have done some googling on the topic, but I can't seem to
find a straightforward answer to the question, "How usable is it right
now?"

The Django ORM seems ok, but from what I have looked at, SQLAlchemy
seems to be the most powerful Python ORM, and I don't really see why
Django uses its own instead.  It seems silly.

Oh and this makes my skin crawl a little:

Entry.objects.filter(headline__exact='What')

It makes me think, "couldn't they have used lambdas and/or overloaded
operators and/or done SOMETHING else more sane and pythonic than this?"

And it turns out that SQLAlchemy did:

session.query(Entry).filter(Entry.headline == 'What'))

Maybe I'm just being superficial in this case, but that __ stuff is
really gross to me.

--
Nick Welch | mack @ incise.org | http://incise.org