[portland] Still Having List/Tuple Problems

Dylan Reinhardt python at dylanreinhardt.com
Wed Apr 16 22:48:14 CEST 2008

Another approach to add to the pile:

>>> my_tuples = [('A',1),('A',2), ('A',3), ('A',4), ('B',1), ('B',2),
('B',3), ('B',4)]
>>> grouper = {}
>>> for left, right in my_tuples:
...         grouper.setdefault(left, []).append(right)

now you have a dict with values groped by keys, as shown below...

>>> for key in grouper.keys():
...        print key
...        for value in grouper[key]:
...             print '\t%s' % value