[Persistence-sig] "Straw Baby" Persistence API

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@alum.mit.edu
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:05:48 -0400

  >> * I do think we should keep PersistentList and PersistentMapping
  >>   in the
  >> core; they're useful for almost any kind of application, and any
  >> kind of back-end storage.  They don't introduce policy or data
  >> format dependencies into users' code, either.

  GvR> But perhaps these should be rewritten to derive from dict and
  GvR> list instead of UserDict and UserList?

One small comment.  (I owe more substantial comment on Phillip's
earlier proposals.)  The persistent versions of dict and list can't
extend the builtin types, because they need to hook __getitem__() and
__setitem__().  The overridden methods may not be called if we extend
the builtin types.

Jeremy