[Pandas-dev] More cores for Azure CI

Irv Lustig irv at princeton.com
Thu Sep 9 13:48:01 EDT 2021

At yesterday's pandas dev team meeting, we talked about an ongoing issue we
have had with the Azure Pipelines Windows builds timing out.  After some
experimentation (see https://github.com/pandas-dev/pandas/pull/43468 ),
I've determined that the issue is we are only given 2 cores on Azure, and
running through the tests on the virtual image hosted on some arbitrary
hardware using 2 cores in less than an hour is a challenge.

It also seems that there is a bit of luck as to whether the underlying
machine will have 2 or 4 cores.  I've seen runs with both.

Jeff posted the question:

> also is there a way to request 4 cores (min) from azure for these builds?

I have no clue.  So does anyone know how we manage the relationship with
Microsoft/Azure to get resources for CI?

-Irv  (Dr-Irv)