[Pandas-dev] A dedicated place for pandas 2.0 pull requests and code reviews?

Wes McKinney wesmckinn at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 17:18:53 EDT 2016

hi folks

We have https://github.com/pydata/pandas-design already, but: I'm
starting to get to work on some prototyping:

https://github.com/wesm/pandas/tree/pandas-2.0

Rather than clutter up pydata/pandas with the PRs, code reviews, and
occasionally unstable builds for this, I'm thinking of creating
pydata/pandas2 (a new repo, but the same git repository as
pydata/pandas) and putting up PRs there, and Gerrit code reviews
(going to try out gerrithub.io -- I want a lot of scrutiny on this
code). Does this sound like a good idea? This will also help others
who want to engage in the pandas 2.0 process but not the pandas
day-to-day grind.

When I reach some checkpoints where design feedback is necessary to
move forward I can make some noise there. Going to be mostly essential
C++ plumbing (memory management, array reference counting, views,
etc.) for the next few weeks.

Let me know what you all think.

As an aside, as I've started working on this, it's reasonably clear
that we're going to want to commit to the copy-on-write path pretty
early in the process. Luckily I don't think this is very hard once you
can easily determine when there is array data sharing. We may want to
explore that topic in some detail in the design docs

Thanks
Wes