[Pandas-dev] pandas 0.18.x and pandas 1.0 roadmap

Joris Van den Bossche jorisvandenbossche at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 18:30:38 EST 2016

Hi all,

Interesting discussions!

My expertise as pandas contributor is not really in the core part, so I
cannot really comment on that. But for me, as we think of a pandas 1.0, a
possible clean-up of the existing user facing API is an important aspect to
discuss I think (regardless of a clean-up and rewrite of the internals, as
this should not affect too much of the existing API? (apart from new
features)).
In the light of how to keep (or improve on) pandas easy to learn, clear to
understand, consistent and yet powerful.

There are some points listed in the Pandas Development Roadmap
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/151ct8jcZWwh7XStptjbLsda6h2b3C0IuiH_hfZnUA58/edit?ts=568725eb#>
under 'pandas 1.0', coming from
https://github.com/pydata/pandas/issues/10000, but possibly other points as
well.

Probably the most prominent example is the indexing API, and specifically
[] / __getitem__. Some time ago I made an overview of some of its warts
that have grown over time: https://github.com/pydata/pandas/issues/9595
I don't say we have to change something about this (because it will break a
lot of existing code), but we should at least discuss it a bit more
thoroughly I think.

As for the timeline, I like the idea of limiting the number of releases for
the 0.x line. Maybe we will like to do a 0.19.x as well (eg to introduce
some features to improve the transition to 1.0), or depending on how long
it takes to shape up 1.0, but that is something that can be discussed later
if that comes up I think.

Regards,
Joris