[Pandas-dev] Notice: backwards incompatible change to the 'resample' method considered for 0.18

Joris Van den Bossche jorisvandenbossche at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 12:04:17 EST 2015

Dear all,

At the moment we are considering to change the API for the resample method.
See the issue API: change .resample to be a groupby-like API
<https://github.com/pydata/pandas/issues/11732>, and Jeff's corresponding PR
11841 <https://github.com/pydata/pandas/pull/11841>.

Basically, we want to make it more similar to groupby. Code that is now
written as:

s.resample('D', how='max')

would become a two-step operation:

s.resample('D').max()

This change makes it more consistent with groupby (as downsampling can be
seen as a special case of groupby), and at the same time enabling the more
powerful features in the groupby-API for resampling.
In the current version of the PR, it will not be breaking silently your
code, as there is a deprecation warning when using resample in the old way,
or a clear error will be raised in some cases (when assigning to the result
of resample).

Feedback always welcome!

Regards,
Joris