[Pandas-dev] whatsnew vs release notes

Jeff Reback jeffreback at gmail.com
Tue May 27 22:44:45 CEST 2014

well we are just going to have a link to the whatsnew in the announcement; it's much too long to actually include it in the mail; though planning on including the highlites (at the top will be directly listed)

I think of whatsnew as all changes but with examples (as needed). the original idea behind release notes was that it was a list of issues fixed with very limited examples (or none)

I would be +1 in only using the whatsnew and then maybe have links back to the major sections from the release notes. (the reason for keeping the release notes is that people expect to see them as they are standard parts of a project). so going forward only have to edit whatsnew.

it just seems simpler to maintain a whatsnew for a particular version as a single file (as then no mistaking which section to put the notes in).

I guess the reverse is in place now for the bug fixes (eg they live in release notes and ref from whatsnew)