[Overload-sig] Gmane may be shutting down

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Jul 28 20:48:57 EDT 2016

On Jul 28, 2016, at 05:48 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:

>Looks like the maintainer is burning out:
>https://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2016/07/28/the-end-of-gmane/

I'm just reading about this after about a week off the net.  I have a lot of
catching up to do, but I think there may be ways Mailman 3 can help here.
We've long discussed providing a built-in NNTP (and/or IMAP), and given the
MM3 architecture I don't think it would be a ton of work for someone with
Python 3 experience, protocol knowledge, and time. ;)

I read a follow up comment saying that Lars will be keeping the NNTP/SMTP
bridge up, so I'm going to contact Aurelien (the HyperKitty project lead) to
see if he has any thoughts on how well HK could front the existing Gmane
archive.

Cheers,
-Barry