[omaha] Group Data Science Competition

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 16:05:36 EDT 2016

On Monday, October 17, 2016, Bob Haffner via Omaha <omaha at python.org> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> A few months ago someone brought up the idea of doing a Kaggle data science
> competition as a group.  Is there still interest in this?
>
> Some thoughts.
>  Not sure of the details, but Kaggle allows individuals to form groups.  We
> could collaborate thru email (or perhaps something like Slack) and maybe
> meet occasionally.  When it's all said and done, we could present at a
> monthly meeting.

A GitHub (repo, issues, and sphinx docs/ and/or GH wiki) could also be
useful:

- gh-pages branch built from docs/ and nb/
  - .ipynb in notebooks/ or nb/
- https://github.com/audreyr/cookiecutter-pypackage/ has packaging and
ReadTheDocs config
-
https://github.com/jupyter/docker-stacks/blob/master/scipy-notebook/Dockerfile
includes conda

> This one looks good.  Doesn't end till March 1st which gives us some time
> and it doesn't look overly complicated.  No prize money, though :-)
> https://www.kaggle.com/c/house-prices-advanced-regression-techniques

- http://rhiever.github.io/tpot/examples/Boston_Example/

  - TPOT can utilize XGBoost (as mentioned in the Kaggle competition
description)

- https://github.com/donnemartin/data-science-ipython-notebooks/