[omaha] Guest checkout procedure

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Wed Apr 6 21:59:15 EDT 2016

The pattern is often dependent on the shopping cart you are using.

Did you roll your own or are you using a 3rd party cart?
Is it a physical item they will receive or digital?
If digital, is it a one shot and done, or will you let them
re[sume|-download] again in the future with some Order#/Invoice # etc?
Do you want to keep contact data for future marketing/promotions?

Many times, "guest" is synonymous with creating a user account with a
random password, unknown to you or the customer and maybe a a "guest" flag
on the account. Especially if there are scenarios that create a possible
future interaction.  This way you can keep you accounting logic standard
and let them set up an "Account" in the future.  Storage is cheap, creating
multiple logical paths in your code is expensive.

Just my 0.02, others are likely to chime in.  Pick the thing that keeps
thing consistent but gives you the interaction you desire.

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 7:35 PM, Steve Young via Omaha <omaha at python.org>
wrote:

> I am setting up Stripe as the payment processor for my django website.  I
> have set it up using the dj-stripe package and it is working fine for
> logged in users.  I would like to provide the option for a guest checkout,
> like most online stores have.
>
> Is there a 'design pattern' for this?  Like creating a user account that
> all guest purchases go thru, or creating a user for every guest purchase?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Steve

Best,

Jeff Hinrichs