[omaha] pyData - Dallas Conference

Bob Haffner bob.haffner at gmail.com
Mon May 4 16:33:03 CEST 2015

I ended up going to this.  It was my first pydata so I can’t compare to the
others.  However, it seemed to be more of a regional event in terms of
speakers and attendees.

My two big takeaways were Blaze and Bokeh.  Both are open source projects
driven by Continuum.

Blaze aims to give you a common interface across multiple backends/data
crunchers.  So the aggregation statement below could be used against a
Pandas dataframe or a postgres db or hdfs.  Blaze does the translation and
passes the workload off to the backend.

import blaze as bz

bz.by(db.iris.Species, longest=db.iris.PetalLength.max(),

                              shortest=db.iris.PetalLength.min())

I use Pandas for most things, but I could see blaze being useful for bigger
things.  It also has a nice function called Into that moves data around
between backends pretty easily.

Bokeh is a very impressive data visualization module.  You can produce
sharp, interactive visualizations.  You write python and bokeh translates
it into javascript.  I currently use matplotlib and occasionally seaborn,
but I’m going to take a hard look at bokeh.  I believe there’s a bokeh
server for distribution and web stuff as well.

Anyone have any experience with or opinions about blaze or bokeh?