[omaha] Django Model patterns

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Thu Feb 20 04:51:41 CET 2014

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 7:49 PM, Jay Bendon <jaybocc2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Side topic ahoy!
>
> As we get 2.x closer to 3.x The migration continues to get easier.  Code is
> drastically different from 2.7 than it was from 2.4 or even 2.5.  I
> understand the desire for 3.x to be significantly better than 2.x but as
> long as the transition is simple and smooth it shouldn't matter that much.

I am in agreement here. The closer the 2.x series gets to the 3.x series,
And by that, I'm talking about platforms such as django. 1.5/1.6 just
started support for 3.x.  That and db access like pymssql and mysqldb.
 Some are already in place, others are coming but until my tools and really
my platforms (FreeBSD and linux) have 3.x in place for system default then
I'll already be migrating.  When you cut code for a business -- my new app
list is already overwhelming, there is no way I would purposely make my
support environment larger than it had to be.  Most people in my company
don't understand that we are a software company that just happens to sell
non-software products. ;)

> Just please don't follow perls example. :)

--Jay

> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 5:42 PM, Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T <jeffh at dundeemt.com
> >wrote:
>
> > they appear to be solving the same problem, it isn't clear after a
> cursory
> > glance what model_mommy is trying to do that factoryboy doesn't/can't.
> >
> > factoryboy serves me well.  When I change or add tools, I expect a 10x
> > improvement.  FactoryBoy did that over fixtures (and a lot more)
> >  model_mommy may do the same over fixtures but not over factoryboy.  So
> > unless I see a presentation on why model_mommy is significantly better
> than
> > factoryboy -  I view it as a time sink to change.  Also, docs are quite
> > good on factoryboy and once you start using it, it is easy to remember.
>  It
> > just makes sense once you grok it.
> >
> > Always be open to change, but demand that the change bring a 10x
> > improvement.  That is what is hurting python 3.x adoption. It is better
> > than 2.x but only incrementally with large hurdles - code and 3rd party
> > tools migration.
> >
> > these opinions are worth their market value, $0.00000001
> >
> > what say you?
> >
> > Best,
> > Jeff
> >

> > On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 6:44 PM, Steve Young <wereapwhatwesow at gmail.com
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > factoryboy is nice!  How about
> > > https://github.com/vandersonmota/model_mommy?
> > >

> > > Steve
> > >

> > > On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 6:28 PM, Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T <
> > jeffh at dundeemt.com

> as
> > > good
> > concrete