[omaha] Omaha Python Group

James Drake jim.drake at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 19:47:22 CET 2013

Welcome to the group, Jon.

My name is Jim Drake. I've only attended one meeting myself. I took a
whirlwind tutorial in SciPy and have programs to replace ones in Perl that
did some useful basic things me. Something that impresses me about it is
that an expert in IDL (a 4th generation language available as COTS
software, which is used extensively for image display and analysis) who has
been working with it, teaching it, and training it for decades, recently
announced ton his blog that he was giving it up for Python.

My background is mostly with high-performance computing, or what used to be
called supercomputing, until the big iron went the way of the dinosaurs.
The problems just migrated to the closely coupled nets of HPCs.

Jim Drake