[omaha] online meetings

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Sat Nov 24 18:31:25 CET 2012

I too thought that things worked well.  I would be in favor of doing a
Python Hangout in lieu of the December meeting. (Dec 19th)
I think for many members, we are competing against "inertia of being home"
and then leaving for a meeting.

System requirements for
Hangouts<http://support.google.com/plus/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1216376>
Max Participants:
10<http://support.google.com/plus/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1216374>

The max of 10 is not a show stopper.  If we hit that road block we can look
for solutions/ideas to maximize the number of people using those 10 slots.

Use of hangouts has certain advantages, such as:

   - negating the need for a projector
   - removing physical event location administration
   - negates the negative "inertia of being home"
   - add your own here

I wouldn't be heart broken to change the meetings to a virtual format, with
a few periodic physical gatherings to enhance the "social" aspect.

If we decide to go this route, we will need to work out a plan to:

   - get people the info they need to participate (hardware, howto get
   invited, when the meetings are)  I see it as a series of articles on the
   group site.
   - get the format change announced to the members
   - let the magic happen ;)

What do others think about this topic?

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Steve Young <wereapwhatwesow at gmail.com>wrote:

> I was thinking about how last meeting went and came up with these
> conclusions - feel free to add your own.
>
> 1. Hangout worked very well - screen sharing, video, audio had no lags, and
> I was on a 1.5 mb connection.
> 2. I would like to continue meeting together when possible - either check
> each month like we do now, or set a schedule - every other month,
> quarterly...
> 3. When we do meet a projector is very useful!  I will not be able to use
> the ALR office much longer, but we may be able to use my
> new employer's office - they have rooms and projectors.  I will check.  It
> is at 15th and Cumming.  Any other suggestions?  I think Lanskey's is still
> available.
> 4. I have not tried it, but it appears we can use the Hangout to Youtube
> feature if we have more than 10 people but they would only be able to post
> comments on the youtube sight - not in the hangout chat.  I looked at
> WebHuddle per Rob's note and it might be worth a try.  Not sure what he
> meant by "safe version"?
>
> Happy Thanksgiving!
>
> Steve

Best,