[omaha] Fwd: [odynug] Perl Best Practices but for Python

Jeff Hinrichs jeffh at delasco.com
Fri Aug 19 23:27:24 CEST 2011

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Jeff Hinrichs <jeffh at delasco.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > -1 for the -1 ;)
> > The question asked for a book, so online references are a valid reply.
> >

> Forgive me Jeff, I actually wasn't criticizing you link to idiomatic. I
> meant to reply to the first message in the thread. Yours was good. I was
> referring to the reference to PEP-8. Your link is good and I suggest it be
> read.

No worries, I was having a bit of fun ;)

> I have to admit, I have a love hate relationship with PEP-8 and feel that a
> lot of people fit into the "foolish consistency" side of things. That's why
> I mentioned to follow the spirit of pep-8.

Agreed, often when working on legacy code or even your own code started
before you became more pep8'ish, I think it is better to follow the
convention of the code/document than to switch back and forth.   I try to
push myself to be better at following pep8 as I go, however, like many
others, I don't have the luxury of time to go back and correct previous
badness, unless its a bug.

Of course that is true with all code.  For example, my first django code
was/is ugly and the more I learn django and the proper places and idioms to
use the better my code becomes.  As a programmer, I believe I should always
try and improve myself, and that means better looking code that is easier to
read and test.  Just like Python itself, Django has outstanding resources on
the web, written both by the projects and by other users.   I often stand in
awe at their contributions.

Best,

Jeff