[omaha] Spring for Python

Mike Hostetler mike at hostetlerhome.com
Tue Sep 9 14:39:49 CEST 2008

I have some experience with SQLObject.  Spring isn't an ORM but (on
the Java side at least) it makes using ORM's easier.

What
Spring does do for databases and  Java (and Python, by looking at the
pages) is that it makes a common way to access the SQL layer.  In
Java, it is nice -- you configure your database, inject into a
SimpleJDBCTemplate object, and then you can use that anywhere you
like.  Want to change database platforms?  Just change the
config!

On the  ORM note, I'll send you one of my favorite
articles on the subject:
http://blogs.tedneward.com/2006/06/26/The+Vietnam+Of+Computer+Science.aspx

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T wrote:
> Do you have any
experience with sqlAlchemy or Elixir?  If so, how does

springpython compare/contrast to existing python ORMs or is python
spring
> more than just database?  Sorry but I don't have any
spring knowledge.

> -Jeff
>
> On Mon,
Sep 8, 2008 at 8:42 AM, Mike Hostetler

<mike at hostetlerhome.com>wrote:

>> Maybe I'm the only Java guy in the group, so then
I'm the only one that
>> will find this interesting:
>>
>> http://springpython.webfactional.com/
>>
>> A Python version is
>> interesting to
say the least.  It should make it easier for DB
>> interaction.
 For Inversion of Control, it maybe seem silly in Python
>> but
I use Java Spring all the time in Jython and I find it wonderful.

http://www.OmahaPython.org

> --
> Jeff Hinrichs
> Dundee Media &