[omaha] Python SOAP and Apache

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon May 19 18:23:17 CEST 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 9:53 AM, freeav8r <freeav8r at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I need to implement a number of SOAP web services in
> Python for an enterprise level system (lots of
> traffic).  Prototypes are up and running on cherrypy's
> WSGI server without any form of connection pooling for
> the database connections.

> 3.  Generation of WSDL for (and compatibility with)
> Python, Java, and Microsoft .net clients.

I don't know of a way to do this automatically with python. Rumour has
it that it is tricky to do since one function can have different input
types and return types. For example:

def multiply(x, y):
    ret x * y

>>> multiply('hi', 2)
'hihi'
>>> multiply(5, 2)
10

One way I've seen suggested is to use a tool from another language to
create your wsdl file. So for example, create a java project in
netbeans and then create stub functions named the same as your python
functions and having the same input types and return values and then
let that tool generate your wsdl file.

I'll be honest, unless using Java or .Net I hate soap. SOAPpy make it
pretty easy to consume web services using wsdl but every attempt to
server them has been fraught with difficulty (same is true for PHP4
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode