[omaha] Sun put's muscle behind Python and Solaris

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Tue Mar 4 04:51:26 CET 2008

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Mike Hostetler <mike at hostetlerhome.com> wrote:
> I have been wondering why Jython doesn't get the credit that Groovy
>  and JRuby get, considering it's been around longer.
I often wondered that myself -- I've got some wild guesses, all
conspiratorial in nature<g>
It hasn't been for lack of support from the CPython crowd or GvR --
they are quite conscious of it and a number of design decisions prior
to Py3K were made with Jython specifically in mind.  They weren't
Jython specific - it was more like, hey there are two ways to approach
this, one guarantees that it will break/be very hard to implement in
Jython and doesn't offer any reasonable advantage over this other more
platform/implementation neutral way. So lets go the more neutral way.

>  So I am delighted to see this.  I've been a big fan of Bray, Leung,
>  and Jython for a long time so combining all of them makes it even
>  better.  Jython needs this sponsorship -- with it, it will soon catch
>  up to Python 2.5.
I'll second that.  I haven't had occasion to use Jython yet, but I
like knowing that it is there.  I like all of the other
implementations too.  The only thing that makes my stomach queasy is
watching someone use IronPython and have oodles of nasty looking .net
specific code.  It's like putting bicycle tires on a Ferrari.

Hey Mike, you wouldn't want to give a little talk on Jython at the
next meeting would you?

-jeff