[omaha] Meeting Notes

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Aug 11 23:45:57 CEST 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Charles Kaminski
<ckaminski at datascoutinc.com> wrote:
> Personally, I would like a project that is powerful, has a wide scientific &
> corporate appeal, and where implementing it in python could have significant
> advantages in simplifying it's implementation, use, and maintenance.

Frozen Bubble 2?

> We'll, I'm just one voice, and others have expressed an interest in
[...]

In my experience, someone will have to be the leader and start.
Otherwise this will get stuck in committee for an indefinite amount of
time. I'm not the leader, but if I were I'd say, "Announcing the
Official OPUG OSS Programming Project (OOOPP)." By ostentatiously
announcing the project as official others in the group will have
little choice but to accept it and participate, assuming the Self
Appointed Planner (SAP) has enough influence and actually chooses
something that a couple others will enjoy doing.

Food for thought: A project that will attract people to Python and to
the user group might have some merit. That would imply something shiny
and cool that people would want to use. For example, an entry in the
pyweek game programming class, or something that allows people to do
clever things with facebook, or download all of the latest episodes of
Heroes or something that automatically deposits $42 into your bank
account whenever you run it, or something that has local appeal like a
cross platform weather forecast applet without spyware.

Just my $0.02 worth...

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode