[Numpy-discussion] proposal for NumPy sponsorship guidelines (NEP 46)

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 05:44:56 EST 2021

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 8:43 AM Matti Picus <matti.picus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/29/20 1:27 PM, Ralf Gommers wrote:
> > Entities who fall under "significant active supporter" we'll call
> Sponsor.
> > The minimum level of support given to NumPy to be considered a Sponsor
> > are:
> >
> > - $30,000/yr for unrestricted financial contributions
> > - $60,000/yr for financial contributions for a particular purpose
> > - $100,000/yr for in-kind contributions
>

> How would this work for one-time contributions, or for sponsors that
> stop contributing? For instance, if an entity gives a $60,000 one-time
> unrestricted contribution (unlikely, but who knows?) would they be
> listed as sponsors for 24 months after the contribution and then have
> their name removed?

That could indeed be explained more clearly. What I intended with "active
support" on a yearly basis is that >1 yr after the donation takes place,
the acknowledgement can be moved from the Sponsor placements to the less
prominent historical acknowledgements page. We should specify a time period
for that, because sometimes renewals take time and there's no benefit to us
being in a hurry with decreasing the visibility of acknowledgements.

So how about:
- one year after a one-off donation is received, or at the end of a grant
period, we consider that support "inactive"
- we leave the acknowledgement in its place for at least another 6 months.
If appropriate, the funding team can discuss opportunities for renewal with
the sponsor
- after those 6 months, acknowledgement may be moved to the historical
overview. with exact timing at the discretion of the funding team, because
there may be reasons to keep it in the more prominent place for longer.

That way there's no fixed formula for amounts, but we can do things that
make sense for the project given amounts received, relationship with
sponsor, etc. I'm not a fan of $60k gives you 24 months, $90k 36 months -
that would be similar to "tiered sponsorship levels" discussed in the
Alternatives section.

> Also, the implementation should explicitly mention a mechanism to keep
> track of received contributions.

If we have a page on the website listing all support received since the
start of the project, that's automatically a tracking mechanism.

Cheers,
Ralf