[Numpy-discussion] A bite of C++

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 07:37:42 EDT 2021

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 12:51 AM Sebastian Berg <sebastian at sipsolutions.net>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2021-08-25 at 17:48 +0200, Serge Guelton wrote:
>
> > Potential follow-ups :
> >
> > - do we want to use -nostdlib, to be sure we don't bring any C++
> > runtime dep?
>
> What does this mean for compatibility?  It sounds reasonable to me for
> now if it increases systems we can run on, but I really don't know.

The only platform where we'd need to bundle in a runtime is Windows I
believe. Here's what we do for SciPy:
https://github.com/MacPython/scipy-wheels/blob/72cb8ab580ed5ca1b95eb60243fef4284ccc52b0/LICENSE_win32.txt#L125
.

That is indeed a bit of a pain and hard to test, so if we can get away with
not doing that by adding `-nostdlib`, that sounds great.

Cheers,
Ralf