[Numpy-discussion] ANN: MyGrad 2.0 - Drop-in autodiff for NumPy

Stephan Hoyer shoyer at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 19:15:52 EDT 2021

On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 9:11 AM Ryan Soklaski <rsoklaski at gmail.com> wrote:

> MyGrad is not meant to "compete" with the likes of PyTorch and JAX, which
> are fantastically-fast and powerful autodiff libraries. Rather, its
> emphasis is on being lightweight and seamless to use in NumPy-centric
> workflows.

Thanks for sharing, this looks like an interesting project!

I would also be curious how MyGrad compares to Autograd [1], which is
currently probably the most popular package implementing "drop-in autodiff
for NumPy." From a quick look, it appears that you take a slightly
different approach for the design -- object oriented rather than functional.

[1] https://github.com/HIPS/autograd