[Numpy-discussion] PR 14700

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Mon Sep 21 18:10:09 EDT 2020

On Mon, 2020-09-21 at 12:49 -0500, Lee Johnston wrote:
>  Hi, PR 14700 <https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/14700> that adds
> datetime64 and timedelta64 support to linspace has not been worked on
> since
> December 2019. I would like this feature sooner rather than never and
> have
> implemented the support and all recommended tests in my fork. Is
> there
> interest in supporting this feature and should I submit my PR?

Definitely, it was a good start and idea.  I don't remember the exact
reason it stalled. I think there were issues around the step size
and/or NaT handling. And a quick look over the discussion, those were
real issues for ensuring the correct, expected, results.

But, it may be that they were not big issues. Either, because we can
live with a non-perfect solution, or because there is a solution that
was simply never finalized.

A PR is welcome! If you have the time, it may help to summarize the
potential issues/solutions on the list so that it is easier to make a
decision. It might also help to have a few more users involved who use
datetimes more actively. I do not use them very often.

Cheers,

Sebastian