[Numpy-discussion] Proposal: split numpy.distutils into it's own package

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 13:29:55 EDT 2020

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 1:20 PM Kevin Sheppard <kevin.k.sheppard at gmail.com>
wrote:

> NumPy could take an explicit runtime dependency on numpy-distutils so that
> the code would be technically in a different repo bit would always be
> available through NumPy. Eventually this could be removed as a runtime
> dependency.

I put some more thoughts in https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/17620. We
cannot remove numpy.distutils, so that separate package may be needed for
cross-compilation but we don't need to use it in NumPy itself.

>From a high level: being able to cross-compile would be great. However
long-term we can hopefully put everything in setuptools, so I'd like the
changes now to be as non-invasive as possible.

> Kevin
>

> On Sun, Oct 25, 2020, 09:23 Matti Picus <matti.picus at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 10/25/20 10:46 AM, Dustin Spicuzza wrote:
>> > I took a first stab at it, and... surprise, surprise, there were a few
>> > more warts than I had originally expected in my initial survey. The
>> > biggest unexpected result is that numpy.f2py would need to also be a
>> > toplevel package. I did get the refactor cross-compiled and started on
>> > scipy, but there's a few more issues that will have to be resolved on
>> > the scipy side.
>> >
>> > I posted a detailed set of notes on the issue (#17620) and made a draft
>> > PR with my initial results (#17632) if you want to get a sense for how
>> > invasive this is (or isn't depending on your point of view).
>> >
>> > Dustin
>> >
>> Is there a way to do this without modifying SciPy?

The goal is to modify SciPy here, so it can be cross-compiled.

That would reassure
>> me that this change will not break other peoples' workflow. It is hard
>> to believe that only SciPy uses numpy.distutils.

That is indeed not the case, numpy.distutils is widely used. The
`numpy.distutils` namespace must remain accessible imho.

Cheers,
Ralf

If the changes break