[Numpy-discussion] reseed random generator (1.19)

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 18:38:55 EDT 2020

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 3:31 PM Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Consider the following:
>
> from numpy.random import default_rng
> rs = default_rng()
>
> Now how do I re-seed the generator?
> I thought perhaps rs.bit_generator.seed(), but there is no such attribute.

In general, reseeding an existing generator instance is not a good
practice. What effect are you trying to accomplish? I assume that you are
asking this because you are currently using `RandomState.seed()`. In what
circumstances?

The raw `bit_generator.state` property *can* be assigned to, in order to
support some advanced use cases (mostly involving de/serialization and
similar kinds of meta-programming tasks). It's also been helpful for me to
construct worst-case scenarios for testing parallel streams. But it quite
deliberately bypasses the notion of deriving the state from a
human-friendly seed number.

--
Robert Kern