[Numpy-discussion] Syntax Improvement for Array Transpose

Ilhan Polat ilhanpolat at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 22:18:32 EDT 2019

I've finally gone through the old discussion and finally got the
counter-argument in one of the Dag Sverre's replies
http://numpy-discussion.10968.n7.nabble.com/add-H-attribute-tp34474p34668.html

TL; DR

I disagree with [...adding the .H attribute...] being forward looking, as
> it explicitly creates a situation where code will break if .H becomes a
> view

This actually makes perfect sense and a valid concern that I have not
considered before.

The remaining question is why we treat as if returning a view is a
requirement. We have been using .conj().T and receiving the copies of the
arrays since that day with equally inefficient code after many years. Then
the discussion diverges to other things hence I am not sure where does this
requirement come from.

But I guess this part should be rehashed clearer until next time :)