[Numpy-discussion] Helping with website improvements

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 17:43:53 EDT 2019

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 7:29 AM Dashamir Hoxha <dashohoxha at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 6:11 AM Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>> Has anybody tried Katacoda before:
>>> https://www.katacoda.com/courses/python/playground ?
>>>

>> I haven't heard of it before. Looks cool. Seems to run on Docker, so
>> would require some infrastructure. If it's something we could get from a
>> static site, then it may be worth considering. Could you summarize what it
>> would require?
>>

> The infrastructure is supplied by Katacoda, we don't need to run or
> maintain any server (although I don't think this would be a big problem).
> And it is free. The only limitation is that the duration of the training
> session for a student is 1 hour (and then he can reload the browser and
> start a fresh session). If enterprises or training companies would like to
> lift this limitation, they have to contact them.
>
> Building an interactive tutorial is very easy and everybody can learn it
> in a short time. The code of the tutorial is just a bunch of json and
> markdown files (for the configuration of the environment and for the steps
> of the tutorial). It can be saved on your preferred git repository (GitHub,
> GitLab, Bitbacket, etc.) and katacoda pulls it from there and builds the
> tutorial environment (docker image). Here is a minimal (hello world)
> example:
> https://github.com/dashohoxha/katacoda-scenarios/tree/master/hello-world You
> also need to set a webhook on the repository, so that whenever you make
> some changes (commits) katacoda is notified to refresh the content of the
> tutorial.

That sounds good to me. I believe SymPy is also pretty happy with their
interactive terminal embedded in their website.

Could you create a new issue on https://github.com/numpy/numpy.org/issues?
It would be good to start keeping track of website improvement ideas -
ideas in mailing list threads tend to get lost eventually.

Thanks,
Ralf