[Numpy-discussion] adding Quansight Labs as institutional partner

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 16:03:23 EDT 2019

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 6:25 PM Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Alan, good questions. The donations via the Flipcause site go to
> NumFOCUS. NumFOCUS is a 501(c)3 and NumPy's fiscal sponsor, so any
> individual or institution that wants to donate to NumPy should preferably
> donate to NumFOCUS. That way your donation is tax-deductable if you're in
> the US, and it can be used in a way that the NumPy Steering Council prefers.
>
> Quansight Labs is not a nonprofit and it doesn't make much sense for it to
> focus on donations. That said, it does have a very capable team, so could
> contract with NumFOCUS to do work on NumPy, if the NumPy Steering Council
> thinks that's in NumPy's best interest (e.g. for developing a particular
> feature).
>

> On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 6:05 PM Alan Isaac <alan.isaac at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Under the section "How will we fund this?" in the first Quansight link,
>> there is not category of "individual and institutional donations".
>> I noticed this because the question recently arose at my university,
>> how can the university occasionally donate to NumPy development?
>>

> We should talk:) Anything we can do as a project to make that easier
> should be done. Also if you need an invoice or purchase order from
> NumFOCUS, I believe that can be easily arranged (and has been arranged for
> other projects in the past).
>
> In order for this to happen, the recipient of the donation and the
>> intended use of the funds must be transparently documented.  As an
>> example, suppose one goes to numpy.org and scrolls down (!?) to
>> the "Donate to Numpy" button.  It is entirely unclear what that
>> means, and clicking the button leads to a flipcause site that fails
>> to clarify.
>

> The numpy.org donation button needs to be overhauled anyway, because
> NumFOCUS is switching away from Flipcause. At the same time we can clarify
> on that page where donation go and how we then decide to use that funding.

Here is a PR with updates to the numpy.org front page:
https://github.com/numpy/numpy.org/pull/20. I think it contains all the
essentials (governance, roadmap, where the funds go). A larger website
overhaul is also in order, but that's hard to do right now. Howevrer if
there is still information missing that people really look for when
considering a donation, I'd love to know so I can add that straight away.

Cheers,
Ralf