[Numpy-discussion] Reminder: weekly status meeting

Stefan van der Walt stefanv at berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 26 18:10:28 EDT 2018

On Sat, 27 Oct 2018 10:27:49 +1300, Ralf Gommers wrote:
> Just to make sure we're talking about the same things here: Stefan, I think
> with "sparray" you mean "an n-D sparse array implementation that lives in
> SciPy", nothing more specific? In that case pydata/sparse is the one
> implementation, and including it in scipy.sparse would make it "sparray".
> I'm currently indeed leaning towards depending on pydata/sparse rather than
> including it in scipy.

I want to double check: when we last spoke, it seemed as though certain
refactorings inside of SciPy (specifically, sparray was mentioned) would
simplify the life of pydata/sparse devs.  That no longer seems to be the
case?

If our recommended route is to tell users to use pydata/sparse instead
of SciPy (for the sparse array object), we probably want to get rid of
our own internal implementation, and deprecate spmatrix (or, build
spmatrix on top of pydata/sparse)?

Once we can define a clear API for sparse arrays, we can include some
algorithms that ingest those objects in SciPy.  But, I'm not sure we
have an API in place that will allow handover of such objects to the
existing C/FORTRAN-level code.

Stéfan